A Fishing Expedition


January 27, 2019
SMUMC
Known and Called
Known as Fishers: Called to Cast a Wide Net
Mark 1:14-20
Psalm 84
Fishers of Men by Rhonda Vincent

“A Fishing Expedition…”
Prayer…

Please stand, as you are able, for the reading of the Gospel according to Mark. Chapter 1 verses 14-20. Listen to and for a Word form God for you and I…Fishers of Men…

Rise and Follow me…I’ll make you worthy…Rise and Follow me I’ll make you Fishers of Men.

When I went to the Holy Land, I got to take the ride of my life. I boarded a boat that sailed on the sea of Galilee. It was amazing. I got to hear a sermon on getting out of the boat. Right then and there my whole life was changed.  I knew I was being called out of the boat to walk on the water with Jesus. I stepped out of that boat and have never looked back…

When we got to the other side, we went to a restaurant that we had tilapia fish…not really my choice but it was thought provoking because it is the type of fish that Jesus shared with His disciples… As we came to the shore on the other side, there were these fishermen. They were using next as was their tradition. It looked like hard work to me. Having to heft up that net and throw it over the side of the boat. Not just next to the boat but had to cast it out far…beyond the boat to draw it back in and collect the fish the nets gathered… Looked like real hard work.

In the Gospel that was read this morning, we hear about men that were fisherman by trade. They were working their nets and were called by Jesus to follow Him… Jesus called them to another type of “Fishing Expedition” with a whole new kind of catch… Fishing for men…and women. It has always amazed me that they didn’t even question…they just dropped what they were doing and followed.

They didn’t think that they couldn’t follow because they were bound by their work as fishermen. They didn’t shrink back saying…I can’t do anything different. They didn’t question their qualifications. They just did…

Peter, John, and James
Could never be the same
After they heard him say
I'll make you fishers of men.

When we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior, we too are called to cast our nets as we join the fishing expedition with others who are also called. We are called to cast our nets wide… What does that mean as we cast our nets wide?
© To consider a variety of options. 
© consider a wide range of possibilities or cover a large area, 
especially to try and find somebody/something
Cast your nets aside
And join the battle tide
He will be your guide
To make you fishers of men.

“Cast the net on the right side of the boat,” He told them, “and you’ll find some.” So they did,[c] and they were unable to haul it in because of the large number of fish. (John 21:6).
When He had finished speaking, He said to Simon, “Put out into deep water and let down[c] your nets for a catch.”
“Master,” Simon replied, “we’ve worked hard all night long and caught nothing! But at Your word, I’ll let down the nets.”[d]
When they did this, they caught a great number of fish, and their nets[e] began to tear. So they signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them; they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink. (Luke 5:4-7)

What does that mean for us? We need to turn from the limitations we think hold us back to lives in which we cast our nets to greater purpose.  We never know what is in store for us when we do, but power and love reside in God, says the Psalmist, and that we can count on. You never know the size of the catch until you go out into deeper water and cast the net on the other side. But if I know my God…it will be so large that we will need help pulling it to shore...

He said, Rise and follow me
I'll make you worthy
Rise and follow me
I'll make you fishers of men.
He said, Rise and follow me
I'll make you worthy
Rise and follow me
I'll make you fishers of men.

Amen

Comments

Popular Posts